NW & NE Link Buildings Museum Of Ireland Collins Barracks Dublin 7
The first Barracks buildings were designed by Thomas Burgh in the early 1700s. In 1922 the complex was handed over to the Free State army and was renamed after Michael Collins. Collins Barracks was assigned to the National Museum in 1994 and underwent extensive renovation with contemporary extensions to the SE and SW of Clarke Square before opening as the National Museum of Ireland – Decorative Arts and History in 1997.
The present works consisted of the provision of two contemporary link buildings four stories in height, at the eastern and western extremity of the north wing of Clarke Square. They provide staff access from the north wing to east and west wings on all levels; and rest areas at first and second floor of the NW link building.